Tuesday, December 02, 2008

WWII Germans and some painting totals..

I've just completed some much needed reinforcement for the Afrika Korps - the support weapons have finally arrived, and they'll no longer have to rely on their gallant Axis allies, the Italians, for mortars and MG's..

First off the mortars (and you can click on any of the graphics for a bigger clearer view):

Next some flamethrowers (and no - I'm not sure these were used in the desert theatre; time to do some reading)..

..some medium machine guns - spandaus on the bipod mount...

...lastly some heavy machine guns - "Hitlers buzz saw", the MG42 in it's sustained fire role on the tripod mount. This would have been the backbone of any German infantry unit and everything tactically was centred around it. As it fired 1,200 rounds per minute, every man in the unit would have carried at least one belt of ammunition. It fired at twice the rate of the British Vickers and the American Browning, and the nickname came from the fact that at that rate of fire, the human ear can't distinguish between the sound of individual bullets being fired; eye witnesses have said it sounded like "ripping cloth". A frightening thing to have to face....

This bunch also marks a new basing technique for me as I was getting increasingly dissatisfied with the basing material I was using for my desert miniatures... I've now switched to pure sand/grit and they look much better. I toyed with the idea of also painting the base but to be honest I like it as it is!

======================================================

November Totals

So how did the painting totals do in November?? Not bad I think...

I make that 63 points for the month, and I'm happy with that...

It also brings the year to date total up to 461 "Olley" painting points which has to be one of my most productive years for ages!

My thanks to you all for continuing to read the blogs as well, it's not the be-all, but it's kind of gratifying to know that people find my blitherings as interesting as I do...! This blog, and my Marlburian meanderings, both show increased numbers of readers over the previous month..



======================================================


Last of all - I've started a new blog...

I'm going to use it as the campaign diary for the campaign DG and I are currently engaged in. This will also allow me to document events in the order they happen, rather than expecting people to have to read all the posts back to front (if you know what I mean)...

...it also means I don't have to put temptation in DG's way, as he likes to read the Random Musings and is worried he'll see something he shouldn't in one of the campaign posts!

I've put a link over on the left with all the others...

1 comment:

  1. Ah, separating the compaign out is a good idea.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete