Tuesday, September 3

Clipper Round the World Yacht Race start - London

My sister and I headed up to the smoke on Saturday, for the start of the Clipper Round the World yacht race [clicky] a brilliant day out as we had tickets for one of the spectator boats courtesy of her husband who works for the race.. the sun shone, huge crowds and the boats looked superb....

We then followed the boats down the river to their last overnight stop at Tilbury before they start the race proper...   the river is an absolute delight, I had no idea there was so much  to see, so much history on view from the days when London was thriving trading port...  docks, dry docks, wharfs, superb very much recommended..  Greenwich looked simply fantastic and I've pencilled that in for a future "I have been to..." (I got lucky with one of the photo's as there was also a Tall Ships event on the same day)


Having enjoyed our time on the water we then took ourselves off to the pub, the Dean Swift [clicky], which was an absolute triumph, and entirely down to my sisters research. A hitherto undiscovered  (by me anyway) gem in the heart of London serving some of the best beer I've seen anywhere, at entirely un-London prices, good food, in a lovely, traditional type beer house... a lot of people enjoying themselves - recommended (a definite 9 out of 10'er)

...and finally the GPS track for a bit of fun ... and no, the spectator boat didn't suddenly sprout wheels, we lost satellite signal a couple of times!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Steve - may well head to Fremantle when they come into Western Australia mate and enjoy a couple of excellent local brews as well down at the Sail and Anchor!
    Cheers
    Carlo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlo - do it - and make sure you let me know what you tried... :o)

      Delete
  2. I missed them! Usually see them off from Cowes. Last time around I was shown round one by Robin Knox-Johnston (who is a friend of my father in law). They are very small inside and very basic! Frankly I start to get anxious when we get out of the shelter of the Island on the way to Chichester Harbour so could never contemplate this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legatus - both my sister and I have done some sailing in our time, and both of us decided it wasn't our bag either..... I'm too old, too set in my ways, and I like my comforts... :o)

      Delete
  3. I take it the GPS went into the Dean Swift with you - hic!

    ReplyDelete