Friday, February 28

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) [Live Stockholm 1969]

I blame Chris Evans [clicky]..  there I was making ready to leave 'Chez Steve the Wargamer' for another day at the grind stone and this came on and stopped me in my tracks....  Stood there grinning like a loon until it ended....  oh man....  first time I heard this was back in 1978 at Knebworth [clicky]*....  my first time there, and my friends and I were just laying around on the grass looking at the sky and this came on*....  thought I'd died and gone to Heaven....  never did see the man, but the first three minutes of the following still make the hairs on my arms stand on end, and I must have heard it hundreds of times..




*1.  1978 - "OH GOD NOT ANOTHER BORING OLD KNEBWORTH" featuring Frank Zappa, The Tubes, Peter Gabriel, Boomtown Rats, Rockpile, Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders. Audience: 45,000

*2.  Shortly afterwards, they played Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way" which had a similar effect...

PS.  Feel free to tune out for the middle drum solo....

7 comments:

  1. I have to admit I have never been to a pop or rock concert in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legatus - I've never been to Colombia - so honours even... :o)

      Delete
  2. That is one I have not seen before, great to see Hendrix slowly building himself up to that classic opening riff, added to my favourites straight away. That's what I love about YouTube - and I listen to music every single day - you can hear a hundred versions of a song then stumble across something really special such as this. Fantastic bass too of course, but agree the drum solo is a little too long:-)

    Much appreciated :-)

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - made me chuckle when he mentioned he couldn't remember the words to the song they were supposed to be doing.... :o))

      Delete
  3. Jimi was the top man.

    Off to see Black Stone Cherry tonight

    Legatus - you need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lupus - Jimi *was* the main man - always preferred his style to Eric's (who always seemed a little contrived to me)...

      Delete
  4. Not old enough to have see Jimi, but have seen Eric a few times now.

    There was a programme on TV last year - 10 top guitarists or some such. The conclusion seemed to be that there were effectively 9 people in second place and Jimi at the top. (I think Duane Allman was officially in second place).

    ReplyDelete