Got some book review(s) to do as I read a couple of crackers over the time away in Corfu, but first off some progress on the AWI re-basing project I mentioned earlier in the year
Much like the Sudan project the AWI re-basing is being driven purely by the age of the project. I must have first based these figures up over 25 years ago, and they've lasted really well but despite care and attention the bases were beginning to look a little sad and tired... see following, flock getting thin, bases also thin and beginning to warp slightly.. the little metal men deserve better
The vast majority of the collection are based on beer mats (no laser cut MDF all that time ago!) cut to the standard size I use for this project (5 cm square) but I've had some thoughts over the years on how to improve the basing and the following shows the progress so far..
So first off get the figures off the old bases.. tortuous as I used Evostick, but in the end as they are on beer mats I just put them in a bath of water and just pop them off once the mats have soaked.. all I need to do then is just tidy up the bottom of the figures base with a scalpel to remove the worst of the glue..
New bases are a thicker (3mm) MDF offering I bought at Salute last year, I bought some green spray paint to make preparation easier (MDF is a bugger for soaking up water based/acrylic paint).
First enhancement I'd thought of was to track casualties using a miniature D6 so in addition to the bases I bought some "dice frames" [clicky] from the company in the link (who I believe are owned/managed/whatever by Pendraken).. which got me to the following:
You'll also notice I've lost the base numbers from the top of the base. They always struck me as being a bit too noticeable so I've gone with name of unit on the bottom instead, but I think I'll also add the old base number as well.
Glue dried and it's time to re-flock - job done..
...and from above showing the dice frame with content more clearly.. I'm going to use a different colour of dice to also show morale state (white for normal, yellow shaken, and red for routing).. so in this case the unit is "shaken" and on four SP (strength points) under the Will McNallly rules I use for this period...
...much better - better get on with the other 100 off bases then!