Friday, February 24

ECW eye candy and the knotty question of depth...

Recent posts have discussed the question of basing, and numbers of figures per base for my burgeoning* ECW project..  and some very enjoyably commentary and banter ensued..  but whilst doing my usual browse of the interweb this lunchtime I saw these on the hugely talented Iron Mitten's blog page [clicky]..

Copyright Iron Mitten

I'm not going to do it, for all the reasons previously described, but isn't that a cracking looking unit and how fine does three ranks look!? They are by the way - the Earl of Manchester's Regiment of Foote

Copyright Iron Mitten

...by way of a contrast here they are in their previous basing incarnation...  still stupendous - so the decision to go with two ranks is still safe...  in this case two ranks of two...  but nonetheless...  he did have one handy little tip though which is to add an extra pikeman to the pike bases just to give a really crammed, dense, effect..  brilliant... 

Copyright Iron Mitten

* burgeoning it is, as well, since the first regiment in my project await paint even as we speak, having gone through, and now completed, the entirely hideous process of gluing on heads and pikes - if I wanted to make models I'd buy an Airfix kit for Heaven's sake... they have been spray painted - none of the aforementioned heads or pikes fell off - hopefully I'll have some time to start this weekend..

10 comments:

  1. Very nice they look too. I do like that pike casualty in the front row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a nice sense of mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm - sure is - you wouldn't want to take them on would you!

      Delete
  3. The Iron Mittens stuff always looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very impressive - wonderfully dynamic, looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I can't bear element basing. All my figures are based individually and then I make movement trays for them, if necessary. I can't work out how people get basing material between figures which are already stuck to bases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Ancient, Medieval and Renaissance games I'm convinced that element basing gives the right look to an army.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve,

    Great pike block with command figures, and I love the guy falling to his knees still clutching his pike. I had been thinking about the musket blocks for a couple of days since first seeing the pics as I felt they looked a little too deep ..... BUT a glance at the famous Naseby illustration clearly shows the muskets as deep as the pike block so he has it correct! I think over the years we are so used to seeing 2 deep muskets on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice close up here:
    https://ecwbattles.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/naseby-formations.jpg

    ReplyDelete