Saturday, April 22

"One Hour Wargames" - Scenario 11 - "Surprise Attack" - Setup

Woke up this morning (now I'm sounding like Muddy Waters) and realised that, despite having a ticket, I really didn't fancy Salute, so decided to give it a miss and do some other stuff...  one of which was getting a game together for DG and I to play via Skype, hopefully tomorrow, but possibly Tuesday

As the game is going to be via Skype it makes most sense to use one of the One Hour Wargames scenario's, and as I'm working through them one by one, scenario #11* was it..

As it's been a while, this scenario will be set in the American Civil War, so my collection will get a march out for the first time in a year!

Forces were random - 6 units again (as per the previous scenario's to date) - I'm using the same modified the random table we used in the refight of scenario #5 [clicky] and #7 [clicky]:

Infantry
Musket
Infantry
Rifle
Zouaves Artillery Cavalry
1
4
-
1
1
-
2
4
-
-
1
1
3
4
1*
1
-
-
4
4
1*
-
1
-
5
4
1*
-
-
1
6
3
-
1
1
1

*Roll again 1/2/3 = Inf Musket, 4/5/6 = Zouave

The scenario is loosely based on Quatre Bras, with one player acting as defender, and deploying with just two elements on the table, and the other attacking and hopefully taking a cross roads before the full defending force arrives on the table..all units start off table except for two in a deployment area roughly a third of the way from the end of the table - buy the book if you want more detail than that (it's worth it! ).

Table as follows:

Looking north - defenders early deployment area marked

Looking east - wood in the foreground

Looking south..

* ...and in case the eagle eyed and observant among you are wondering where scenario # 10 is, DG and I played it (twice) via Battle Chronicler, and with all the will in the world a succession of screenshots of what is in effect a computer game is not really going to cut it so you'll have to be a with me when I say we enjoyed the game immensely, and from memory it ended one all with both of us winning a game..  a good scenario...

6 comments:

  1. It may well have been a wise decision. I found it overcrowded, hot, dim and tiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leagatus - I found the decision once made curiously liberating.. for me, it's a long old day, and I got whole load of other stuff done.. including the subject matter...

      Delete
  2. What a hoot - not going to Salute and doing wargaming instead - excellent. My plan was to go to a local hobby store and do a Salute spend with them .... but a family 'thing' cropped up that diverted my full attention away from that pursuit. I will go on Monday and pretend it is Saturday, so all will be well. :-)

    Looking forward to seeing an ACW game on the table, it doesn't feel like a year since they were last up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm - bit sad really as it is our premier show and I should have been gagging for it.. but there you go... two and a half to three hours each way when you include DLR.. hot sweaty dark, and lots and lots of walking... game tonight, if Skype and the broadband behaves.. :o)

      Delete
  3. Steve - fully understand your last minute decision, hope the game goes well. I'm a bit like Norm, when it's SELWG or SALUTE weekends I have a bit of a spend up online instead! Used to love the big shows but can't do the noise/crowds these days. Look forward to the report, really interested in the concept of online games.

    ReplyDelete