Thursday, May 14, 2009

Heidebrecht Regiment based....

Just to finish off the last post, as promised some pictures of the regiment now that they're based and "flagged"...

Speaking of flags, I owe huge amounts of thanks to Dan Schorr (again!) on the Early Linear Warfare [click here] Yahoo group, and Yves Roumegoux & Ian Sumner on the Warflag [click here] Yahoo group, for details on the regimental standard.

In summary, details on the flag the regiment would have carried when they were under the command of Heidebrecht are not available, what details we have are from a French source that describes the flags taken by Louis's forces at the battle of Denain in 1712. This is much later than the period I'm specifically interested in, in fact it's even after Seckendorf had moved on, but as has been pointed out it's unlikely it would have changed much. At the time in question the regiments colonel was a man called Cavenach, or Kavenach...
First off, Dan sent me a black and white version of the flag which I was able to 'colour in' (no crayons were damaged in this process!) using information in the file - as follows..
Just as I'd finished this, Yves sent me the following - source is the Bibliotech Nationale de France - Cabinet des Estampes. The information is from a study by Jean Belaubre in 1970. Two flags are shown the one with the stripes (that I had done) is a company flag (the study indicates that the regiment would originally have carried one per company but this was reduced drastically as the war carried on). The plain one has exactly the same design and is a Liebfahne, or Colonel's colour.. interesting flags as the front and back of the flag do not have the same design. Best yet however, it has further information on it w.r.t the service of the regiment...
My French is rusty, but the pertinent parts of the Belaubre plate are as follows:

In January 1701, Georges Frederic, Margrave of Brandenburg Ansbach, raised 4000 men paid for by the Republic [Holland?] “all to be well equipped for service on the Rhine, or in the last campaigns in Hungary”. It consisted of two regiments of infantry: SECKENDORF (named 1708 Castel) and EBERSTADT (named 1703 Heydebrek, 1705 Seckendorf, 1711 Kavenach or Cavenach) and one of Dragoons: SCHMETTAU. Each infantry regiment comprised 1 battalion of 10 companies. Each company had it’s own flag but these were limited in the end to 3 per battalion.
Cavenach was badly engaged at the battle of Denain on July 21st 1712 and had almost 300 prisoners taken as well as these two standards taken by the French.

Ian & Yves also sent me an excerpt from another book titled "Bemalungsangaben fuer die Zeit des Spanischen Erbfolgekrieges" which was written in the 1960's by Goldberg and Wagner. Yves says the source for this is the same one Belaubre used. It was published in Hannover by Siegbert Wagner.
As you can see I decided to go with the Liebfahne for this regiment...! As per the last post, all figures 15mm and by Minifigs..


On the sailing front, just a small trip last weekend - the wind was up and in the interests of ensuring that at least some of the family still wished to come out next time I decided to curtail the adventure!

Distance: 3 miles (23.5 miles year to date)
Wind: Moderate (force 3 gusting 4)


  1. Fantastic! And the flag is beautiful.

    Bets wishes


  2. Superb stuff. I tip my hat to your thoroughness on historical matters.
    Not much going on here, but I am gaming vicariously through my blog subscriptions!

  3. I like the flag and unit a lot, Steve. They look great.

    -- Jeff

  4. My God that is some flag.

    Go on, admit it you copied it from the 'Phil Olley book of BIG flags.'

    Lovely unit though and the flag just sets it off to perfection.


  5. John - I am a confirmed, fully paid up, life member of the Phil Olley big flag club.... :o))

    In scale terms it's about 12' square - so yes, it's at least twice as big as it should be!! With figures this small though it adds to the spectacle...

    Jeff - not forgtten your request in the first post re. a tutorial - I'd suggest a re-read of my horse painting post of last year..

    The first two steps are exactly the same, after that you just "paint" with the ink... the 'thicker' the white dampbush the more blue the colour will come out but in effect the blue hardly shows where you haven't dampbrushed so the figure almost "self shades".. being ink it's also much quicker to 'paint' with than paint....