Sunday, November 22

Sikh infantry for the Sudan

More paint brush butchery... 



This is what I was trying to represent this time..

35th Sikhs - later period Sudan (approx 1896) from Wikipedia
Though this is more representative - the following is a picture of the 15th Sikh's (Ludiana) - not sure where but the time is correct for their deployment to the Sudan - you'll note the lighter puttee's/gaiters...  all leather equipment is brown, uniforms khaki, officers are European (typical at the time), weaponry would have been the Snider rifle (precursor to the Martin Henry in the British Army, but foreign troops always had one level of equipment older, either for financial or safety reasons - memories of the mutiny were still strong) - details from the wonderful Perry Miniatures page [clicky]

15th Ludhiana Sikhs at Suakin in the Sudan - 1885
The 15th were one of three Sikh regiments (if my research is right) raised just before the Second Sikh War (the British clearly understood the fighting qualities of the Sikh's!), and the present day 15th is the most highly decorated regiment in the Indian Army. They took part in the Battle of Tofrek (where they won the battle honour "Tofrek") and throughout both Suakin campaigns - the earlier 1885 campaign, and the later 1890 Omdurman campaign...


When I ordered the figures I should have got three packs so I was short of figures to make my usual 4th base...  three will do for now and I'll pick up another pack at Salute if Caliver are there..  I boosted numbers with a couple of European figures - the officers head gear is incorrect, but whose to say he didn't win it in a game of whist after arriving in Suakin?

The figures are 15mm from Minifigs and are 'passable' - no excuse for my paint butchery other than that it's been a while and I find it takes a few units to get my poor hand back in to the groove..



Other references:

http://www.sikh-history.com/sikhhist/archivedf/feature-june2001.html

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Peter .. and apologies for the delay in replying!

      Delete
  2. You can't beat Sikhs (says the 1/64th Sikh person!) What a lovely unit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Legatus - I have to say I'm a little disappointment I couldn't do them better justice with my paint brush butchery....

    ReplyDelete