Monday, November 20

"One Hour Wargames" - Scenario 14 - "Static Defence" - Game

As I mentioned in the last post, this weekend finally provided the opportunity to close out that unfinished business from just before I went away on holiday with the "One Hour Wargames" scenario I posted about previously [clicky]...

We originally played this using my skirmish rules of choice "Rate of Fire" but the outcome was so entirely unsatisfactory that I had felt the need to play the game again, either solo or with a different rule set..

DG had won the game handsomely, but it was the lack of confidence with the rules (we just don't play them enough) and the fact that scenario didn't really seem to lend itself to a skirmish type set up that had jarred...

I toyed then with the idea of getting DG to bring Chain of Command along, but I have to confess that as I grow older, I am more and more drawn to simple sets of rules that allow me to play the game rather than spend all of it looking up rules, and even though I know they are a splendid rule set, last time I played it took a long time...

So it was that I thought, well why not just use the WWII rules from the book - we had a decent game with the ACW one's, and DG and I had had great fun tinkering and modifying them afterwards, so decision was made - and then I read them, and they're only two pages long.. well I did ask for simple

Decision made - the only change I made to the rules before the game was to add a dice modifier to the observation rule, which as written is automatic...  I split the range in four and added 1 to the dice roll for every 3" band closer to the spotter...  other than that everything else was as per the scenario.

On the night DG took the French and rolled a 2 on the 6 unit table - deploying 3 infantry; 2 anti tank guns and a mortar. I (as the German attacker) threw a 4 ending up with 4 infantry; 1 tank (yay!) and a mortar. The rules don't go into the level of detail that requires type of anti tank gun, or tank, so you can choose what you like - they all have the same defence values/shooting values.

The Germans go first in each turn - so having read the rules a few times and noted where I could do best with what units I had, I decided to go with an all out attack on the hill objective on the left, while deploying one squad of infantry as a mobile reserve just to cover the town/wood flank..I deployed my mortar on the baseline as with a range of 48" there was no need to move it as my other units would be taking care of the spotting.. (the French did the same)

The French are tied to the objectives they are forced to defend so DG put one squad and one of the anti tank guns in the town; the other two squads were central in the woods, and the other anti tank gun on top of the hill...

About move 4 or 5 - German mortar deployed on the base line - two squads and the tank on the attack - two squads on the right flank watching what was happening from the town...

Leap frogging quickly forward the Germans were throwing lead by about move 9 or 10, though to be blunt their observational skills were poor, and their firing off...

Sheer weight of numbers played in the end though (three infantry squads and the tank were all able to spot for the German mortar) and the French anti tank gun was destroyed allowing the Germans to occupy the hill with a badly beat up infantry squad, one reasonable one, and the tank...

Close up of same..
With no one to spot for them the French mortar team withdrew towards the town, only to meet two French infantry squads dashing to the attack, and soon battle was fierce...

On turn 14 the Germans managed to destroy all remaining French forces on the hill, on turn 15 the French managed to get the mortar team on to the hill just in time* to deny the Germans the victory...  honours even, game drawn. 

Post match analysis:
  • * yes we know it was "gamey", but it was entirely in keeping with the level of the rules, and I had no hesitation in accepting the draw
  • the observation rule worked well - for the next game we'll use a D10 - so observation automatic at 2", and then for every inch longer add 1 that you need to get on the D10
  • we thought at the most basic level we might want some unit/asset level morale status yet to be worked out - any casualties and they become pinned/suppressed with a shooting/movement penalty until they pass a test to become un-pinned/un-surpressed...  
  • beer on the evening was provided by DG and was from Welsh Wales (boyo) - Felinfoel Double Dragon which I haven't drunk in an age, and most delicious it was...

13 comments:

  1. A well done battle report and nice looking table. I agree with you about preferring simpler rules and I will probably pick up a copy of OHW soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta David - I recommend them highly.. and less than £4 currently on Kindle!

      Delete
  2. These Rules do sound interesting and Double Dragon to boot. A fine beer it has to be said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dannoc - the taste of Welsh holidays of yesteryear.. we used to stay in a little cottage right opposite Offa's Dyke, and that was the local brew...

      Delete
  3. Love the OHW scenarios but the rules are too simple even for me. I quite like the free PBI set from Mr Pig for this size game. Felinfoel used to be the taste of summer holidays:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lupus - very, very simple, but not simplistic - they allow you room to think but still enjoy the game... I'll check out the PBI rules...

      Delete
  4. We use Neil’s Ancient & Medieval rules and find the games enjoyable and fairly historical, so I’m not surprised that you also opted for the OHW rules for your game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - gave a creditable result I thought... I'll play them again for sure...

      Delete
  5. Looks excellent, Steve. Are you playing on a larger surface than the prescribed 3 x 3?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Steve-t-W,
    great little report - suitable for a great little game.
    If you use a larger table, and all else is the same, you may want to give a bit more time for said movement - perhaps give to 20 turns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thought ECW40.. I'll consider that for the next game...

      Delete
  7. hey steve, send me an email to my gmail, and I'll send you the latest playtest version of our WWII rules.

    it is aama19147, plus the usual stuff.

    Best, Alex

    ReplyDelete