Monday, February 18

Infantry Regiment Goor

As promised here are some pictures of Infantry Regiment "Goor".

My reading on the excellent Dutch military history site would lead me to believe that this is Infanterie Regiment 671d a regiment founded in March 1671, by the splendidly named gentelman Moise Pain et Vin (Bread and Wine?) Up until that time he had been a Major in Infanterie Regiment 665d (Regiment van Wittgenstein), having taken that post in 1665.

As usual, in 1704 the regiment was known by the name of their colonel, who at the time was Johan Wijnand van Goor - he had taken command in February 1695, but for the previous fifteen years he was a major in Regiment Wallen (Infanterie Regiment 600a) having taken that post in February 1680 - promotion was not what you would call meteoric, but the excellent spanishsuccession site (click here) has a good potted history of his career during this time, and it's clear that he was not idle...


Goor was promoted to Generaal-Majoor in August 1701, and in April 1704 he was promoted Luitenant-Generaal en Meester-Generaal der Artillerie.


Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the history/background to Sturler's in a previous post, this promising career was cut short at the attack on the Schellenberg where he was a very early casualty leading the opening infantry assault...

The regiment however went on, and was present at the following engagements

1704 Schellenberg, Hochstadt
1706 Oostende, Meenen
1708 Wijnendael
1709 Malplaquet
1711 Bouchain

The regiment was in Beinheim's brigade for the attack on the Schellenberg, so will be brigaded with Beinheim's and Sturler's (which I've already painted) - just Rechteren (Dutch), Hirzel (Swiss/Dutch) and Heidebrecht (Ansbach) to go, to complete the brigade.


Figures are all 15mm Dixon's - with the exception of two Minifgs figures that I had to draft in to make up numbers. I'm still not too sure about the sculpting on the Dixon figures, they're a little dumpy compared to the more elegant Minfigs - in the picture above, the Minifigs are in the front rank at far right, either side of a Dixon.

I'm not sure their colonel would have carried a carbine, but just for once I wanted a little fun - and have represented him as a "Sharpe" like character, looking ready for anything the French can throw at him!

The flag is entirely unsound - there are no references to what flag they carried so I decided to give them one from one of the other Dutch infantry regiments (colonel's colour Waes Infantry Regiment)

5 comments:

  1. It looks good . . . and, as always, I enjoy the little historical tidbits that you mix in.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, thanks for the links. I shall enjoy following those up.

    I like the basing. I always overdo it on 15mm, that looks about right.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    Speaking of basing . . . what are the dimensions of your bases? How wide by how deep?

    Do you use the same base dimensions for all figure poses? Or does it differ?

    How about for Mounted Troops . . . what are the dimensions of those bases?


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - many thanks... can't tell you how long I've had that bucket of flock... it's a little like Triggers broom in "Fools and Horses" (ie. I've used the same flock for 25 years now; I've put 45 packets of new flock in it, though...)

    Jeff - many thanks to you, too..

    The bases are 30mm square; with either 6 infantry or 2 cavalry per base.. I use the same size bases for both and 4 bases make a battalion, or squadron..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work as always Steve and thanks for the background, whih is something I particulalry enjoy about your blog.

    I quite like the Dixon range, a couple of years ago I painted some to generate some cash and found them surprisingly easy to paint. certainly better than their equivalent 25mm figures (and a better price point).

    ReplyDelete