Monday, March 11

One is not amused...

....currently laid low with a hideous lurgy* that the blog title may give some of you a clue to..... 

Much frustrated as I have a unit of Confederate infantry on the cusp of completion and today is the first day I've had the get up and go to actually start finishing them...  that's the next post.....

I have, however, enjoyed reading the outpourings from my fellow Bloggerati and was much enthused first by a post last week by fellow blogger Too Much Lead [clicky] So enthused in fact that I immediately ordered a set of these for the astonishingly cheap price of just over £2...

Even if it's only the more traditional brushes that work out OK (and they look good - they all come with protectors over the brushes), then I'm quids in - I'm fascinated by the longer brushes though. Either way, they've arrived so a more thorough review when I get to use them for real....

Then this morning I was reading Phil B's latest missive [clicky], which for once wasn't defamatory, dis-ambiguous, or libellous () where he discussed a cheap source for a paint stand....

You can only guess how this lit up a spark when you see what my painting table looks like ....

Errrr....  let's call this "before"......
Yep - the Vallejo's are stood in what used to be a Chinese Stir fry Vegetable container, the "thing" to the right is 30+ years old and used to be my fishing tackle box before it was pressed into service for it's current duties (the tubes of paint on the left are just for show by the way, it impresses the hell out of visitors ... )

Anyway - immediately ordered one (less than 10 squids for a 25 capacity stand, and that's with delivery!); I look forward to a far less cluttered "after" picture when it arrives...  I'll do a review here when it arrives....

It seems to me that the nail varnish/beauty business may be the source for all sorts of things cheap in the painting line......!

* and a hideous lurgy, as opposed to just a lurgy? One that stops you from work without guilt, but lays you so low you can't even pick up a book, never mind paint a figure.....

7 comments:

  1. I ordered three of the nail varnish racks yesterday

    And some nail paint brushes - they were £2.50 for 14! Even if they're crap I can still use them for something.

    I understand the brushes you ordered had shot up in price. i hope not as i want to buy them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can further report that the Brushes are very good, and I found the smallest of the 'liner brushes' to be very useful for doing the black outline on a Portuguese flag. As it doesn't splay out, and the long hairs hold a useful reservoir of paint it'll be very handy for lining, running shade into crevices and so on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evening,
    I hope you havent got what I have, it knocks seven bells out of you.
    Anyway thanks for the tip re the paint stands, they look great.
    Thanks Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've ordered some of the brushes, keen to see how they work out and at the price can't knock it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool tip about the nail brushes. I'll have to look into them presently.

    As for the paint caddy, there must be solar flares affecting us when we take our tin foil hats off. I just built a one based off another blogger's post, who built his off of another blogger's post. Can it be that we painters are finally standing up to workbench entropy? Nah.

    If you're interested in seeing the writeup on my scratch built paint caddy, follow the link (links to the inspiration articles are in that post). From a time perspective, you may be better off with the acrylic one though. (I just like being able to look at it and realize that I've actually done something productive so far this year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick - the blogerrati are like some giant brain... someone mentions a new paint stand (Phil Broeders was the first I think) then before you know it, like nerve impulses all over the network, we're all sorting out our painting tables... :o)

      Delete