Friday, May 17

Infernal machines...

A saker - this one is in the Château du Haut-Kœnigsbourg
So, having re-read my notes on artillery [clicky] just to refresh my brain, it was time to add some artillery to the English Civil War project...

Choice for these was Peter Pig, which I had the chance of seeing in the flesh at Salute, so bought there and then - the guns are lovely, the crews are as characterful as the infantry and cavalry..  not surprisingly.. 

What I was looking for at this point was mediums..  there's scope, and I will definitely add, some lighter battalion level pieces later, but for the moment I wanted some battle level assets..  these represent saker/demi-culverin/culverin type ordnance.

I also thought about limbers, but that's a lot of painting for something that wouldn't usually appear on the table so I decided to forego - if there is a scenario specific requirement at some time in the future I'll add then.. ..

So on to the guns..  four of them (Peter Pig Medium gun), with crew (16 figures - one pack Gun Crew Firing, one pack Gun Crew Loading) allocated two of them per side..

I researched but didn't find any specifics about gun carriages being coloured/painted, so went with natural wood for the carriages, the guns are bronze as per the example above - in all reality, on campaign they would probably not have been polished, the barrels may even have been blacked, but artillery barrels are always this colour in my armies (except when I know they're iron )


Two part bases - the crew are mounted on 30x30 as per the infantry, with space left for the cannon trail. The cannon are mounted on a separate 15x30.


The idea being that the cannon can be left in situ when the crew are destroyed, or they leave the gun to seek refuge with the nearest pike block, or for any other reason..


Painted in a variety of muted colours, grey and brown predominate, 16 figures, four guns, painted May 2019.

Next on the painting table, 'dragooners'!

14 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff matey. You can't go wrong with Peter Pig stuff. We're going to need a parade of all these guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JBM - many thanks... and you may be right on the parade suggestion!

      Delete

  2. Very nice. I like your way of basing the gun and crew separately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Codsticker - the original plan was to put the gun loose on the same base in the middle of the crew but the bases are just a little too small, and as I had these half bases in a drawer the solution was serendipitous to say the least!

      Delete
  3. A clever idea for the gun and crew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David... can't take all the credit.. I would almost certainly have seen this idea elsewhere amongst the bloggeratti and knicked it for my own.. :o)

      Delete
  4. Smart move with the basing and they've turned out really well! I like your view on the colour of the gun barrel too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain... kind of an old school thing with me that colour scheme.. LOL. Purely FYI, plain gold (Citadel) with a coat of "Armour Wash" (also Citadel)..

      Delete
  5. Nice guns 👍🏻. An ingenious method of mounting the guns and crew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done once again Steve, the collection is growing at a pace now. Do you have a set of rules in mind at this stage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee - nothing that's been printed yet - I may very well write my own based on the WSS rules I use...

      Delete
  7. I like the seperate gun base idea. I wish I'd thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moif.. good to hear from you.. can't take the credit, I almost certainly lifted the idea from someone else.. :o)

      Delete