Thursday, February 20

...and yet even more terrain...

 The last of the serendipitous purchases from 4 Ground in their new year sale..

This one is 15S-EAW-114 "The Shop 2" and is possibly the most complex of the buildings I've constructed so far..  the dormer windows on these kits are always a bugger to fit, and this one also has the bay window for the shop - which looks lovely, but is really fragile in 15mm MDF - if you look closely you can see one side of the window is damaged where a piece just fell away, and rather than fix it I went with the distressed look that I had already introduced with the fixes/bodges for the aforesaid dormer windows...

I toyed with the idea of filling the gaps with the usual blue-tac/greenstuff/filler (and the gaps are  inevitable I have found, as I had the same issues with the last one that had these windows), but for this one I decided I wanted 'run down' vibe..  the roof is leaking, but rather than a proper repair they have put tarpaulins over the dormers, and where the chimney is leaking.. I think it works...

The 'tarpaulins' by the way were pieces of paper towel soaked in PVA glue and then pressed down and worked into place with a brush, before painting a suitable tarpaulin colour and washing with Windsor and Newton peat ink..



A really nice addition with his kit is a sheet of advertising posters which I took advantage of..  all in all happy with that...  I decided to glue the roof level down for this one so it is a 2 story - ground and first floor only... I colour coordinated the roof tabs as well as I could (they're a bit darker in the pictures than they are in real life)..


..and here we go - all of them together... with a troop of French Somua tanks heading down the high street...


..maybe one more to make the street lengths equal - but I'm super pleased with these and have already thrown out the old terrace as being surplus to requirements now...



..next post - more English Civil War loveliness...

9 comments:

  1. That is the problem with 4Ground, they are just too complicated for what they are intended for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon - if I can build them, anyone can... :o)) Thirty minutes and you have a nice looking piece of terrain.. weirdly I also find them very therapeutic to put together! LOL..

      Delete
  2. I agree completely with Simon. While I have found the pieces to be very well trimmed up, the fact is that they tend to be way to fidgety for my arthritic fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC - I can see that being a problem - for this and previous builds I've used a decent pair of tweezers, and have glued as I went along for a nice stable strong structure... one more (no dormer windows!) and I'm done..

      Delete
  3. The 28mm ones are the worst. Once did an Old West Sherrifs Office. Took me a week! All the doors work, but do they need to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....ah, now 28mm would be a different matter, Simon - not built one of those - I suspect with more size to play with, then the number of parts (and therefore complexity) can also be increased... for my level of game all doors would be glued and I'd leave out any interior detail.. but if it was for a skirmish game, may be they would be useful????

      Delete
  4. Those have turned out really well. Perhaps a ruined building on the shorter row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - yes! Brilliant idea... I'm thinking of going to Salute in April, I'll see what they have on their stand...

      Delete
  5. Super looking French terrace! Still not sure on mdf but these look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete