Friday, April 24

DBN French camp anyone?

DG and I are playing a DBN game at the moment (I blame that Lee Gramson [clicky]!) because against all sense I am contemplating another project, and DBN would allow me to contain it within manageable levels..

Steve the Wargamer started his wargaming life with two projects, one was 20mm/HO/OO WW2 North Africa, but the other, earlier ,was Napoleonic - the first regiment I ever painted was the Airfix Highlanders... after that stupidly large numbers of (unpainted) Airfix French and British fought many battles across a largely unadorned dining room table using the rules from "Wargames"

Cut forward to Warfare in 2013 [clicky] (and 2016 [clicky]) and my game of the show was a Napoleon in Egypt set up - I was hooked..

No it's not a fantasy game - they really are Napoleonic French on camels what is NOT to like? 
So IF I was to pursue this to the logical conclusion, DBN requires each side to have a baggage/camp marker, and IF I was to do a Napoleon in Egypt DBN project, then this would just have to be the model/basis for the French camp, it's stunning..

The Egyptian Expedition Under the Command of Bonaparte, by Leon Cogniet, painted on a ceiling at the Louvre, 1835

16 comments:

  1. Some bits in this set might help;

    Link
    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=269

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would... but for my sins I am contemplating 15mm (well 18mm)... DBN is a brigade level representation so I am thinking more figures on the same size base will give a better flavour.. it's an idea though, can't believe there aren't similar figures available in 15m..

      Delete
  2. Go on Steve, you know you really must do it! What a baggage marker that scene would make, a good search around the numerous makers could well yield something suitable.

    I have on order the BM French 4 wheeled ambulance pack, the French wounded and surgeons pack and the British 4 wheeled ammo wagons pack (2 per pack). Unfortunately the British forge pack is out of stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - more than a starter for 10 here: http://lancashiregames.com/LG3/rwfd01-archaeologists-and-rosetta-stone.html

      Delete
    2. That's nice little set Steve, I must admit I have never looked Lancashire Games until now.

      I'm interested in how are you playing DBN remotely as it's something I have been thinking about recently. Any hints and tips please? Skype? Facetime?

      Delete
    3. DG and I are old school, so we tend to use Battle Chronicler for a play by email game, Skype if we want real time... not my game but this gives you an idea of what BC looks like... https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wMeHMisLBIc/UWsI4DkB5CI/AAAAAAAAEbs/phQ1EtG1ztI/s1600/Scrivslandia_1_Turn_1_Duchy_of_Scrivslandia.jpg

      Delete
  3. Somewhere I have several packs of 15mm Egyptian campaign French awaitng paint. or at least they should still be there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that would be an example of model sourcing excellence Steve! Beats a few ridge and bell tents hands down. Louche positively louche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket - oh yes indeed... slave girls as well... :o))

      Delete
  5. You know you really need to do it so just go ahead. I was first tempted many years back not long after I first started wargaming and I couldn't scratch that itch until the Strelets figures came along almost 50 years later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Will - the DBN rules are proving quite likeable so far... I can see a project looming!

      Delete
  6. I meant to post this yesterday, but its taken me up until now to remember the name of the company!!! Check out Donnington minis, they do great camp sets!
    https://shop.ancient-modern.co.uk/camp-and-baggage-119-c.asp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey Ray... kaboom... that's a source and a half...! Love those Arab tents... thanks..

      Delete
    2. That's a great resource Ray, not heard of Donnington for years!

      Steve, hope you can give us an update on how you find the DBN rules in play? I note Alex has put up a video of the battle of Quatre Bras within the last couple of days, it's an excellent watch/listen whilst painting and it's really helping me to learn the rules.

      Delete