Friday, January 29

Steel Fist shiney's!

Click on the image to go to Steel Fist
I first heard of this kick starter months ago, on TMP of all places I think, though thinking further on it, it might have been a mention on the Ralphus's blog [clicky] that gave me the hint...
 
No one in their right mind spends time on TMP voluntarily...
 
Anyway, at the time they were starting up a kick starter for a new range of highly detailed 15mm English Civil War - at the time the kick starter was a little rich for me, but the more I looked at them the more I liked the look of them so just after Christmas I took the plunge and ordered two packs of foot - one each of pikes (ECWF1) and shot (ECWF4) and earlier this week they arrived, so I thought you might fancy a look..

First off the pike - you have to fix your own pikes, and Steel Fist provide a little bag of brush bristles but I may use wire instead..  lovely aren't they - looking forward to painting up a regiment of them

 
Next the muskets, and I have to say I like them even more than the pike -  I love the kneeling figures. Note also the supplied sprue of additional swords ..


Lovely detail..

 
No review would be complete without a size comparison - first off then Steel Fist on the left, Peter Pig on the right... Steel Fist smaller/slighter

 
I only had a Minifigs 15mm from their Marlburian range, but the following should give an indication, again the Steel Fist is smaller, but about the same heft..  look at the animation though - the officer shouting, and you can almost see the ball dropping into the musket..

 
Very pleased with them.. 
 
Cost analysis..  the Steel Fist are 28 figures a pack, 24 rank and file with the rest being command so they work out at about 59p a figure (ignoring delivery) compared with 44p for Peter Pig - so a standard regiment would cost £14.15 for Steel Fist, or £10.50 for Peter Pig. A fairly significant cost difference the value of which will only become clearer once I've painted a regiment..

24 comments:

  1. Steve you are spot on that no one in their right mind voluntarily spends time on TMP!! Lovely looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DF - apologies for the delay in responding - complete mind blank and forgot to check the comments.. TMP.. what IS that about??! :o))

      Delete
  2. That's quite a difference in price but they do look great sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray - it is a price difference, but it's the age old quality/quantity conundrum.. and all of us weight the scales one way or the other... I'll have a better idea which way the scales are leaning when I see them painted and based.

      Delete
  3. They look very nice Steve but if I expand my ECW armies I think I would stay with Mr Pig due to the cost and differing size. Best wishes. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim - both excellent reasons for the decision... ever since that Marlburian project of mine I've quite enjoyed mixing and matching figures/ranges though, so they are an interesting addition.. whether they are a detour or not is yet to be seen..

      Delete
  4. They are nice and the winner for me would be open hands for the pike material of choice to be fitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm - also a clever idea to send the bristles with them.. the open hand option will sell them to a lot of people... Peter Pig do the same figure in both modes, it would be interesting to see what the ratios are for numbers sold of each? Me? I'm a wargamer not a modeller, I prefer cast on pikes, faffing around with bits of wire and superglue is a ... errr... faff.. :o)

      Delete
  5. Those are lovely figures and great detail for 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J - the detail is amazing... when I first start considering the project I was hugely taken with the Empress Miniatures figures.. verrrr expensive, but what detail.. these little one's remind me of that level of detail...

      Delete
  6. For 15mm those are really good detail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb sculpts. Quality costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grimsby - you are absolutely right... and always worth paying for if the ends justify

      Delete
  8. Those are quality figures, well worth the quality price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I'll withhold full judgement until the first unit is painted, but I don't think the price is a deal breaker yet

      Delete
  9. Oh God no, Nooooooo !

    For the first time in my gaming life I’ve got a lead pile. Please don’t tempt me into making it even bigger with 15mm ECW. They look lovely. It’ll be nice to see them painted up. Are there any others in the range?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolly Broom Man.. LOL, of course there are.. was stupidly tempted by the cavalry as well..

      Delete
  10. They look very good indeed Steve, and true 15mm scale? I was looking at the Eureka ECW range at 60p per foot figure and thought them good value if one considers the investment/artistic skill involved in producing a new range, but these could give them a run for the money and the sculpting/ period accuracy is spot on. Brave venture given the wonderful Pig range they will be competing with. Look forward to seeing them painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lee, good to hear from you.. I wondered if you would be tempted.. :o) We truly are in a golden age, the choice and quality of figures is second to none

      Delete
  11. These are amazingly good for 15mm although I was actually quite impressed with the old Minifogs figure so perhaps it's the quality of your pics I am impressed by! I have been tobTMP but have consciously avoided doing so dye to what I have read and seen of the f wit that runs it...but like N Korea...I have no personal experience to base it on but I don't want to visit there either !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rross, and so am I (impressed with the Minifigs figure).. :o) They are a stupidly old range, but the sculpt is just elegant.. the problem is, the ranges are old, and the English Civil War one is now suffering a bit on the realism front as a result of the sheer amount of research since the range came into being, what 30+ years ago?

      Delete
  12. TMP? A blast from the past for me! Steel fist figures are really nice,I'm painting up some 28mm gendarmes and they almost paint themselves! These look lovely, I look forward to seeing them with paint on!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I have a regiment of Union ACW infantry to go through first, but the Steel Fists will be next on the paint sticks..

      Delete