Saturday, October 9

7th Virginia finished!

As promised - the 7th Virginia are now finished in all modes - mounted, dismounted, and horse holders... a lot of painting to represent one regiment!

So with further ado - here they are (and as usual - clicking on any picture reveals a pleasingly larger view):

They are a little more irregular than their Union counterparts, I tried to vary the horse colours, and also the grey used in the uniforms, so as to give the impression that they weren't quite as "regimental". I also remembered the plain metal sword scabbards this time... ๐Ÿ˜

My reading would indicate that cavalry on cavalry engagements in the American Civil war, Brandy Station aside, were very rare...

..the way that I will try to encourage this on the tabletop is something that Bluebear Jeff alluded to in a post a long time ago - very closed in terrain; there were no open spaces, as there was in Europe, to encourage sweeping cavalry charges...

...and just as a reminder, here they are in dismounted mode - horse-holders to the rear..

Figures are Newline Designs (of course!), 20mm and painted in my usual style - acrylics and inks on a black undercoat (with a white damp-brush for contrast)

8 comments:

  1. They look great, Steve!

    Another anti-cavalry factor is that the blunt-nosed "minie balls" (really a flat-nosed slug) at .58 caliber were much more effective at taking down horses (as I recall, General Forrest had an incredible number of horses shot out from under him).

    I really like the two horse basing that you use. If I ever get my ECW project started, that's how I will base that cav.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking unit. The horse holder sculpt actually looks like he is doing his job-rather than just being a standing cavalry figure.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ji
    Not my era, but I love your eye for detail and your scenary, for example the fields. They look very nice but I don't see any solution to the problem of having your units entering in. What is your solution?
    Regrads
    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys...

    Matt - I'm slightly remiss in this project - I'd always planned to have a range of figures represented like my WSS project, but the Newline figures are so damned nice I never moved on!

    Next unit is the first of the Zouaves... :o)

    Ola Rafa - that sounds like an interesting question! Can you expand on what you're asking? Units entering the table???

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really nice looking unit this. Everything that Southern cavalry should be...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have painted quite a few of those figures over the last ten years, but none came out as nice as yours.

    The ACW set up is looking very smart now.

    John

    ReplyDelete