Sunday, December 11

"Firing into the Brown" #24 - Schellenberg, Dickens, Christine and stuff..

"So Carnehan weeds out the pick of his men, and sets the two of the Army to show them drill and at the end of two weeks the men can manoeuvre about as well as Volunteers. So he marches with the Chief to a great big plain on the top of a mountain, and the Chiefs men rushes into a village and takes it; we three Martinis firing into the brown of the enemy".

Kipling "The Man Who Would Be King"

Time for another update..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Was tidying up in the 'loft of war' the other day and found some old Military Modelling's that I'd clearly bought in a bring and buy at some long forgotten show - probably as part of my search for the complete run of Tabletop Teasers (often used to pick up bundles of mags, often containing just one issue of Practical Wargamer I needed), but anyway, and by the by, I thought this article was lovely (and also close to the heart, being one of my favourite wargaming periods)..  a fitting example of the work of two of the hobbies, sadly gone, greats...

Clicking on them should embiggen pleasingly..



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

That time of the year again, it's Dickens time! Here's the Christmas Dickens timeline to date...

  • 2013 - "David Copperfield" (9/10)
  • 2014 - "Nicholas Nickleby" (exceptional)
  • 2015 - "Oliver Twist" (8/10)
  • 2016 - "The Old Curiosity Shop" (7/10)
  • 2017 - "A Tale of Two Cities" (7/10) and "A Christmas Carol" (9/10)
  • 2018 - "Great Expectations" (10/10)
  • 2019 - "Bleak House" (8/10)
  • 2020 - "Little Dorrit" (retired hurt - no score 😏)
  • 2021 - "Our Mutual Friend" (8/10)
  • 2022 - "Pickwick Papers" - promising so far!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Beginning to feel a little like obituary corner... but after the sad news of Wilko's passing, there came the even sadder news of Christine McVie's death... πŸ˜’

Everyone knows something she's sung in a hugely long and talented career - but for me it was always the stuff she did for Fleetwood Mac, and for me, while everyone else in the 6th Form testosterone swamp was swooning over Stevie Nicks, I always thought she was gorgeous..  😊

The following is a live recording of her doing "Songbird" with the Mac - no pictures, somewhat fittingly, just her astonishing vocals...  another good one gone... πŸ˜•

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Laters, as the young people are want to say...

3 comments:

  1. Hello Steve. That issue of MM looks familiar - probably in my hoard! Not really into WSS although it has often tempted me but I guess the scenario could transfer to SYW quite nicely. Best wishes. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Jim, the Schellenberg was my original "coat hook" for the period/project when I started it, a nice pocket size (for the period!) battle that gave me an OOB to start painting towards... also an astonishing feat of arms by the men in the assault party.. I came late to the period though, everyone seems to duck either side of it in the wargaming world (ECW/TYW or SYW/Napoleonic) but I find it fascinating... and it's also black powder which is my main love in the hobby (ECW/WSS/AWI/ACW proves that!). I may not get another post up before Christmas, so I'll take this opportunity to wish you and yours a Happy Christmas and a Good New Year!

      Delete
    2. I think there was some interest when the Ga Pa rules were published and there seem to be a lot of plastic figures now. I shall resist at this stage of my wargaming as jit would be nice to complete figures for one period after 60 years! Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to you too. Jim

      Delete