Friday, July 26

Officers

I was long overdue to add some officer figures to command my nascent regiments and squadrons in the English Civil War project, so over a couple of hours at the end of last month the following were added to the collection..



It's always been my intention to try different figures in this project..  the change is good and part of the fun is seeking out those ranges you've never seen before or tried before, and so it is with these guys...  while Peter Pig will always be the backbone of the project, these are a departure and are by Gallia [clicky]


Bit basic if I am honest, but nice enough..  the guys with the soft hats are standard bearers but without the standard they make a nice 'vanilla' officer figure..


I have enough in the order from Gallia to make an infantry regiment so we shall see this range again in the project..  but in all likelihood, probably not again - stupidly cheap figures, but I can't say I felt the love...  

11 comments:

  1. Nicely done Steve. Not heard of Gallia before, but I'm a bit out of touch. Hard to beat the Piggies though for character and casting quality. Good idea to explore other manufacturers. Are we in for a full parade soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - came across them in one of the TMP discussion threads and thought I'd try them.. I'd used Warrior before when I was in the 20/25mm phase so wasn't expecting a huge lot, they're ... OK... Peter Pig remains the benchmark. You're comment re. full parade is noted.. want to get the other Dragoon regiment done first though...

      Delete
  2. Useful bunch of universal officers! I've got some generic officers on the go at the moment too,
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. iain - the problem with using one make for your army is that you soon run out of variations hence my search outside the Peter Pig catalogue... :o) If your project is 15mm as well would you care to share where yours are from??

      Delete
    2. Sorry Steve, I'm in 28mm land, frankly there is too much choice!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Not bad looking figures mate, despite you not feeling the love and all that. It's well worth checking out marginal manufacturers to gain a bit of variety. I'd also like to join Lee in calling for a full on parade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JBM - request noted.. just want to get the other dragoon regiment completed first.. purely anecdotedly, there is a quite surprising paucity of good 15mm figuers outside the Peter Pig catalogue...

      Delete
  4. You can never have enough officers really, so you will find room for these and more I’m sure. Nicely turned out, they look fine to me at table distance in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta David.. yes, I foresee one of two roles for these guys - brigade commanders or overall general in command... more will be needed... I do feel drawn to having a "King Charles with Royal Standard" type base...

      Delete
  5. I like the pose of the officers, but the horses look a bit undersized. Good paintjob though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket - you have it in one.. the figures are out of scale... wait until you see the personality figure of an outrage priest waving his cross... I've already named him Rasputin...

      Delete