Saturday, October 10

Reinforcements have arrived...

One of the things I have learned over may years in the hobby is that the painting mojo always returns eventually, and while I still have little desire to go up in the loft again after that extended stay (for work) at the beginning of the year, I've also noticed that there are stirrings in Steve the Wargamers psyche, and I'm beginning to think about pushing the lead again...

So it was, that when an email dropped into the inbox from the excellent fellows at Peter Pig offering me a COVID discount (of great value), who was I to turn down the offer of replenishing the lead pile ready for that moment when the brushes start to fly again?  Even more so as unlike most of my fellow wargaming bloggerati (it would seem) I've never been one for lead piles - I tend to operate like Tesco - "just in time" - so I order enough for a unit and then paint it, and repeat...

In all my years of wargaming - through mojo high's and low's - there's nothing to beat the excitement of the  arrival of a parcel of little metal men (and other stuff) and this one was no different..!

Either way ..  nuff waffling...  these will hit the paint table in the next few weeks/months..

Ooh!


ACW naval reinforcements..  I know I said I had enough, but I quite enjoy this period/game, and I blame Dave Crook [clicky] for giving me the idea to order a few more..   so what we have here is top right, the Commodore Morris (ferryboat) - a double ender (what we call RO-RO these days, proving there's nothing new under the sun) - the USS Fuchsia, a small gunboat (bottom right) - the CSS Governor Moore, a cotton clad paddler (bottom left) and the USS Tyler another paddle steamer (top left). They're all fairly typical and will serve on both sides depending on scenario...



..then some ECW reinforcements - I'm happy to say that in my mind this project is hitting critical mass just a few more units then after that the foot can come off the accelerator pedal..

Cavalry, foot command and pikes.. 


Muskets to go with the pike..  cavalry..  #28 is wounded cavalry - thought they would add a little colour/differentiation to the regular cavalry.. 


More musket..

13 comments:

  1. Great haul Steve. There's nothing like a fresh delivery of toys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are getting back into things Steve. I too have been interested in what Dave Crook has been writing and am impressed with PPs ships. I have a great many 1/1200 ships(several in resin!) and can't face starting again. I keep meaning to try the rules in Gridded Naval Wargames but seem to be suffering from the lack of enthusiasm afflicting several bloggers - being too easily distracted by such interesting blogs doesn't help. All the best and stay well. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jim.. funny old year has left me a bit discombobulated... little metal men will help get it back on track.. :o)

      Delete
  3. Good to get the painting mojo back again. I like the modelling of the ECW muskets, PP do get their posing style nicely sculpted and their pike have a certain sturdiness that some 15’s can’t match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm - but let's not jump the gun, I have still to recharge the water glass, but I am at least thinking of it.. LOL

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try again! As you say a parcel landing on the mat is one of the hobby's enduring pleasures. Maybe even more so given the dearth of shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - the original comment made me laugh.. I thought "is he some kind of Imelda Marcos??" Your revised comment is bang on.. hadn't realised how much those shows meant to me... no Salute, no COLOURS, no Warfare... roll on 2021...

      Delete
  6. Funny old Year indeed Steve, but at least that lots going to keep you busy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, apologies for the delay.. yes indeed... just need to get that gumption to go up and wield a brush - I'll be fine once I start!

      Delete
  7. Always good to have some reinforcements arrive - spare a thought for we poor unfortunates in the Antipodean colonies - we NEVER have any decent shows/conventions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rross, that is shame indeed... the shows are a mental kick in the posterior for me, always come back enthused..

      Delete