Friday, March 12

Storage upgrade

Can't promise much excitement this week, but my inner geek was fully satisfied, and hey, that's the way the hobby rolls.. sometimes you're re-fighting Borodino on a 36 foot table, with professionally painted Foundry and Front Rank figures, and sometimes you're just getting curiously excited about plastic boxes...  
 
For as long as I can remember I have used either, first, cut down printer paper boxes, or slightly later, box files to store my figures in and then out of nowhere I was gifted a couple of the clip lid "Really Useful" boxes in the 4 litre size...  
 
Love them, I can see the contents better (and after all that is the reason we spend so much time painting them), they stack better, and they are not so deep as the current storage, so I can get more of them in a shelf space...

Quick trip to the web and I find that due to Covid, people have been spending their time organising their storage, and a lot of places I would normally use are sold out, but either way first purchase later and the posty delivered a humungous cardboard box with six of them in and I could start transferring...

An hour creating some labels and we went from box file to this..



...and from this...


..to this...

As soon as I can see them back in stock I'll order the next batch of six and complete the job on the top shelf..

DG and I are also playing out one of the scenario's on the DBN home page. Plancenoit [clicky] models the French defence against the Prussian attack..  it's fun - I'm playing the French, DG the Prussians, and I would say that this is a hard nut for the Prussians to crack.. had a play with the slideshow widget and this is the game to date...

For ref.. FA (artillery); M (muskets); LC (Light cavalry); LI (light infantry), the linky above has the full terrain descriptions and OOB's

18 comments:

  1. Really useful boxes ate indeed really useful! I've got loads if them myself and am slowly getting rid of my old file boxes like you. They're well worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray - apologies for the delay in responding.. they are indeed useful.. second order of 6 arrived this week..

      Delete
  2. Almost entirely have all my storage in VUBs, plus some thinner plastic Wham boxes. I have a few box folders left - these when replaced are broken up for the MDF sides and the cardboard which is always useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tidders.. didn't realise the sides were MDF... in the words of Tom Hardy "I have a use for them"

      Delete
  3. My toys are stored in old Ferrero Rocher boxes (the flat ones) for much the same reason you use Really Useful Boxes. Plus I have the added pleasure of emptying them first. Type II Diabetes? Pah! 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket.. "with these miniature figure storage devices you embarrass us, ambassador"

      Delete
  4. One of my lockdown activities was to finally move on from Really Useful - I use to have a stack of 9 litre boxes with Sally 4th inserts to allow a double layer of figures. I splashed out on a couple of 9 drawer Bisley metal filing cabinets that were on offer at Rymans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy - I had an eye on some second hand filing cabinets myself.. it was the weight that deterred me..

      Delete
  5. Now that’s what I call storage! All my tiny bods go in Crystal Perspex jewellery cases these days. I used to use box files but I’ve found It’s actually encouraging to have a visual reminder of progress where I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JBM.. I had no idea that such a thing as a Crystal Perspex Jewellery case existed before you told me, I now finally have some suitable storage for my piercings jewellery... PS. :o))

      Delete
  6. RUBs get my vote! I bought my latest last week from The Range. If you have a nearby store it might be worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David... there's some good online options where the price is low enough to negate the postage cost, but I must check out the Range..

      Delete
  7. Everything spick and span Steve, just the way I like it :) Seems Covid has driven hobby related sales as you say, I was talking to Tony Barr at ERM and he's been completely snowed under with orders to the point of running out of MDF at one point, and he was struggling to keep up with orders that required casting which he does in his workshop. So good for these small businesses at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, there is a curious pleasure to be had from "tidy" but having associated with my fellow hobbyists for as long as I have, I know it is nothing to do with 'geek'.. :o))

      Delete
  8. I too have some RUBs but will have to stick with my old cut down copier boxes as they are the right size to fit in my available space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Jim - I will need a different size RUB for the AWI project as they are too big (with flags) to fit without being crushed so some at least are remaining in their cut down copier boxes for now... thinking possibly the 9 ltr version which has the same foot print double the depth

      Delete
  9. Yet another vote for the RUB like you I use the 4 litre one but as I game in 6mm I use two of the RUB inserts in each one to get a double layer of storage. I tried the 9 litre boxes which have the same footprint but are twice the depth again really good storage solutions but they get a bit heavy with four trays in them. The clincher for me was that they stack in a secure way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elenderil - good plan - I may do the same for my 10mm WWII stuff..!

      Delete