Sunday, January 12

RIP Neil

...another one gone far too early..

Heard through the media that Neil Peart had died...  Neil was the drummer with rock band Rush who were a hugely formative, and important part pf the younger Steve the Wargamers life...  I remember to this day getting the vinyl copy of 2112 from my friends at school for my 16th birthday (and I still have it)...   never met him or any of the band personally, had the great fortune to see them play a few times, but they were an integral part of mine and my friends lives for a good number of years, and it feels like someone you knew well has gone...  😢

Best wishes and thoughts to the rest of the band, and Neil's family, and thanks Neil (wherever you are now..) for all the musical shivers down the spine, the moments when basically your/their music just made you want to jump up and down for the joy of it, or just sitting in a darkened room nodding your head along with a huge smile.. 

RIP...

11 comments:

  1. His contribution will live long after - a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fitting tribute Steve. Like you I discovered Rush in my teens, actually my Blackheath bedsit days which wold have made me about 19, a little older than you. I have continued to listen down through the years, he was one hell of a great drummer and larger than life character who loved big motorbikes. The news upset me yesterday so had a listen to a couple of classics last night, Tom Sawyer followed by the amazing Limelight. Way too many of these guys dying in their sixties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - other people will say it better I'm sure, but they were a big part of my musical beginnings (I kind of grew out of them after "Moving Pictures")... haven't listened to them as much as I did for a while, but I was quite surprised how shocked I was by the news...

      Delete
  3. Only saw them once - April 1988 NEC Birmingham. Never really got into the band but I can appreciate a great talent when I see/hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul - you have it in one... talent transcends...

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete