Friday, July 5

El-Mellah

The sail training Ship El-Mellah (meaning sailor in Arabic) owned by the Algerian Navy was in Portsmouth the other evening just as I happened to be going over to Gosport with the Jolly Boys (Beer Chapter) for a few beers at the Fallen Acorn brewery..


...for me, a bit too much superstructure to be considered truly lovely, but she still looked a fine site...  Polish-built, 110 meters long and 14.5 meters wide, the masts are 54 meters above water line, with a crew of 126 sailors and 84 trainees (for this trip), and this is her maiden voyage..  in the background are the (lower) masts of a considerably older square rigger..  


...and there you go..  three square riggers in one shot albeit the Gosport ferry was doing it's level best to block the view of Warrior.. 


Bear with..  there are painted troops ready to be based if I can get the time and they should be the next post..

6 comments:

  1. Bloody hell Steve, it's a small world. I've just this minute stopped outside of Portsmouth on my way to Abbotsbury with the wife. I might take a quick detour for a look see since I've plenty of time on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm with you about the superstructure but she is still very nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, I blame the faddish requirement of an en suite for every member of crew.... :o)

      Delete
  3. Careful the Barbary pirates don't kidnap you as a slave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jubilo.. "From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli".. etc etc!

      Delete